Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Flight Memory



Flight Memory is a handy tool that allows you to record what flights you've flown; it allows you to enter detailed information including the origin/destination, the airline, the type of aircraft you flew in, the cabin of service, etc. It then gives you a detailed map showing where you've flown, both domestically and internationally, as well some fun facts. If you ever want to know how many times you've circumnavigated the earth based on the number of miles flown, you could find out here.

I've been using this site for about two years, and whenever I book a flight, I make it a point to also visit Flight Memory and enter the raw flight data. After my travel is completed, I go back and fill in any missing details (aircraft in case there was a plane swap, cabin of service in case I upgraded at the last minute, etc.) The point of all this is to make sure my stats show an accurate depiction of my travel habits.

Here are my most current maps (as of July 1, 2009):


















Whenever I look at my Flight Memory map, I tend to focus not on where I've been, but on where I have not been. There are some gaping holes here that I hope to fill sometime soon: I'm never been to Australia, there's much of Central and South America that haven't seen, and ditto for Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Really, there are few places on this planet that I don't want to visit.

In terms of detailed statistics, I've flown enough to circumnavigate the earth over 15 times, and 1.5 times the distance to the moon. Roughly 70% of my flights are on United Airlines, and all five of UA's hubs (ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, IAD) are listed in the top ten airports I fly through.

Of the flights I've logged here, 118 were in economy class, 26 were in business, and 88 were in first class. Sadly, the site doesn't give the ability the distinguish between first class on 2-cabin or 3-cabin flights. What's called "first class" on domestic flights in the US is frequently the equivalent of "business class" on short-haul flights outside the US, but I digress.

No comments: